Thursday, September 6, 2018

BP #2 - Raul Cuero


In Raul Cuero’s interview, I admired his idea about how he would take the negativity in his life and use it as motivation to be the best version of himself. Many people quickly judge based off of simple things such as first appearances, even if it’s not intentional and many times their judgements are wrong. In Cuero’s case this is what happened to him. People judged him based on where he was from and his race and the stereotypes that are associated with them. I think everyone can relate to this in some way or another because people are constantly being judged or judging others. 

In my life personally I get judged a lot about how I look and act. I am a African American female and for some reason after people meet me they feel the need to say "you don't act black" or "you're a white girl trapped in a black girls body." For me the one question still remains in my head, "what are black people supposed to act like?" In society's perspective through stereotypes I guess I'm supposed to be loud, ghetto, and ratchet, but that's just not me. Sorry I'm an educated black women who has good sense and manners society.

Another thing Cuero talked about in the interview that I found interesting was how he believes creativity in school is sort of a dying art. Kids go to school and follow a set in stone structure that does not allot time to be creative in any way. From my personal experience, I completely agree with Cuero's belief. There was never a time in school where I was given time to truly just be creative in any way. In every class I had there was some sort of guidelines or rules that had to be followed. Even in art class where it's ok to be creative and different the lessons were based off of commonly popular known techniques in the art world.

Cuero also  talks about how he grew up very poor in Colombia and he did not have money to go out to the movies with his friends, so he entertained himself by watching and playing with the roaches he saw in his grandmother's house. In the article "Study Reveals Why Some People Are More Creative Than Other," it is said that, "creativity is the ability to come up with new and useful ideas" (Beaty). Cuero was able to use his creativity by figuring out how to entertain himself with the roaches when did not have the money to go out and this factor helped set the foundation for the rest of his life. In American society I don't think kids or adults could do what Cuero did as a child because our society is so reliant on technology. Anytime people get bored they automatically look at their phones, tablets, or computers for instant entertainment which is not good because people are taking for granted life's little moments like having a simple face-to-face conversation with someone.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project - Video Deconstruction

For the video deconstruction project I decided to focus on various aspects of Walt Disney himself and the Walt Disney...