Monday, September 24, 2018

BP #4 - Stage Door


My favorite excerpt was the one from the film The Color Purple (1895) where Tata Vega sings “Miss Celie’s Blues.” Being an African American women this film and musical is one that I have seen plenty of times. One of my favorite parts of the film is the part shown is the excerpt where Tata Vega sings “Miss Celie’s Blues.” I like the song because it reminds me of woman empowerment. Even though Vega’s character and Celie might not have the same exact lifestyle  there are many ways in which the two women can relate to one another. Especially because in the song Vega’s character refers to Celie as “sister,” it’s as if they have this unspoken connection to one another. Also anytime I hear this song it reminds me of something my mom tells me all the time which is that you’re somebody all by yourself. It’s good to have people in your life that you care about and vice versa but you do not actually need them for you as an individual to matter or exist. Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvK8WCPj1Y
Another excerpt I enjoyed watching was the one with Glenn Close singing “As If We Never Said Goodbye” from the Broadway musical Sunset Boulevard. I absolutely loved the 1950 film Sunset Boulevard, it is one of my favorites. I knew about the Broadway musical but I never researched or looked into it. I loved this excerpt because I loved all of her elaborate outfits and costumes in the film and it looked as though that aspect was carried over to the Broadway musical. Also Glenn Close’s singing voice is amazing and her acting is amazing. In this video you could hear her character’s feelings in her singing voice. Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvuPifLc7E
I really liked the ’94 Tony’s Opening because it gave tribute to some of the most popular Broadway musicals at the time. I liked how even though all the songs were from different musicals they were able to tie them together with the one connecting story line, which happened to be about the devil, but it gave the story some humor. For me personally, seeing and hearing all the different songs gives off a feeling of good nostalgia. In this performance some of the most catchy and popular songs were sung from popular musicals. The overall performance was amazing and the singing was great. Also with each song they changed the stage and the performers to match with the musical which was really fun to see. I’ve never seen an opening to an award show so fun but elaborate at the same time. Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ZVlJ3QoRQ
I also liked Liza Minnelli’s performance of “THE ACT” at the 1978 Tony Awards. I liked how she not only sang the part but she played the part as well. In her performance I felt as though I could get a sense of her personality and charm. She seemed to be the woman who could do it all. She sang and her voice was beautiful. She danced and didn’t miss a beat. She wore a sequenced pants suit with elegance and grace. Not many women can do all that as Liza Minnelli did. Seeing her on stage in a way makes it seem as though she was destined to be a performer and entertainer. Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAURkgx-D0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project - Video Deconstruction

For the video deconstruction project I decided to focus on various aspects of Walt Disney himself and the Walt Disney...